Search site

Coronavirus: We are following government advice and updates about any impact on our services will be added here as soon as possible:

Am I likely to get planning permission for a scheme or project? Getting pre-application planning and related advice

Am I likely to get planning permission for a scheme or project?

Latest News - Use of pubs and restaurants as food takeaways during the coronavirus outbreak

Follow the link below for the latest information.

Use of pubs and restaurants as food takeaways during the coronavirus outbreak

We strongly encourage anyone considering anything other than the most straightforward planning and related proposals, to seek pre-application advice first. It can reduce delays or even avoid a withdrawal or a refusal when a formal application is submitted, and improve the chances of a proposal being acceptable as submitted, which is how the Council normally determine them.

In most cases, seeking pre-application advice is not an alternative to employing professional people to assist you. Architects, surveyors, chartered town planners and others can help you with your plans and get them to a stage where the Council can give you meaningful advice.

Any advice given is not binding on the elected Members of the Authority, but it will tell you the approach of their Officer advisors on the basis of the information available.

There will be a charge for most types of pre-application advice, but in return you will receive advice of a defined quality and within an agreed timescale. The charge will depend on the nature and complexity of the advice you are seeking, as will the type and format of the response given. Fees can be returned if the set performance targets are not met.

It is very important that you provide enough information in the pre-application submission to enable the Council to give you as comprehensive and meaningful a response as is possible. What you need to provide is explained on the relevant form, which also explains the type of response you will receive, the timescale and the fee. If you do not provide this information, your enquiry will be returned.

As part of an initial enquiry you can request a meeting to discuss the proposal further, on all but householder and shopfront/advertisement matters, but such an approach can only be made when paid for advice has been sought.

We do not have any form of Duty Officer and all enquiries must be submitted in the forms set out below

Other Advice

We also offer a clarification enquiry service for householder development and a clarification enquiry service for other development post the conclusion of an application or informal enquiry to ensure any concerns are understood, or see if revised proposals can overcome any issues raised.

In addition informal advice can be given as to whether permission is required for proposed householder development as an alternative to seeking a formal determination but again a charge applies.

Formal determinations on whether permission is required have to be submitted for all other types of development.

Further information can be obtained on the wider planning process from the National Planning Portal and we have a list of  that may help you. Professional help can also be sought.

You must also check whether Building Regulations Consent is needed before carrying out any works.

Developments over 50 dwellings will have to provide mitigation land on site. Here is a helpful calculator to give an indication of the likely size of this space:

Available Forms

Further information and enquiry forms can be found here:

The Planning Services Privacy Notice can be read here.

New Forest District Council Privacy Notice can be read here.

Updated: 30 Mar 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM