Search site

Old Milton Green

Conservation Area

Old Milton Green The conservation area covers the village centre of Milton (now Old Milton), around the Green and the Parish Church. In 1886 the railway station opened one mile away, and the main focus of activity moved away from Old Milton although the area continued to develop. The conservation area was designated in June 1993, to protect the remaining parts of the original village. The most significant building is the church. Substantial areas of land are likely to be redeveloped, and conservation area status should ensure that the area's character is respected.

'Mildeltune' was one of a group of enclosed farms in southwest Hampshire mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086. 'Middleton' has 13th century origins, and a weekly market was granted to Thomas de Chaucombe in 1303. Milton grew up around the Church and Green as a stopping point on the coast road from Lymington to Poole, which was the main town before the growth of Bournemouth in the 1800s. The present road and property boundaries follow the historic pattern and can be traced on early maps. Two inns, the school, the smithy and other village shops were clustered round the Green to the north and east, but many services moved away as the town of New Milton grew following development nearer the railway. The Green is the focus of the area, but its historic character is at present marred by traffic and a clutter of signs and posts. Church Lane still retains a rural feel, with some old hedgelines surviving. There are important trees on the Green and nearby in the George car park. The extensive Rectory grounds contain valuable trees protected by a tree preservation order. Groups of trees in the churchyard and to the east of the Green are also significant.

adobe icon View the map [313kb]

These are key features in the conservation area:

  • The earliest reference to a chapel is in 1270 but the present Church of St Mary Magdalene has an ashlar tower dated to 1695. The remainder, in red brick, being an 1830 rebuilding of the medieval church which was further extended in 1928. It is the only listed building in the conservation area. Its 19th century churchyard walls are still largely intact.
  • The George Inn, dated 1905, is an original, purpose-built inn which replaces an earlier building. Its marvellous brick details are worth a close look.
  • The most attractive approach to the Green is from the south along Southern Lane. One thatched cob cottage survives at the southern end, along with other buildings of modest scale, such as Myrtle Cottage.
  • The buildings opposite the Church lychgate establish the scale and character of Church Lane.
  • The fine example of a Victorian Rectory dated 1876 stands in secluded grounds with mature trees which provide a haven for wildlife.
  • The view from the west over Fawcetts Field to the Rectory grounds and Church tower is important to the setting of the conservation area.

These are some of the things that make Old Milton special - they need to be looked after:

  • History
    The street pattern, with no change to alignments.
  • Buildings
    The setting of the church which itself is already protected as a listed building.
    The George Inn and its outbuildings.
    The Wheatsheaf Hotel and its outbuildings.
    The buildings on the east side of the Green.
    Roadside buildings and walls in Church Lane.
    Original materials and techniques - brick, smooth render and slate roofs.
  • Archaeology
    Archaeological remains or records.
  • Landscape/Townscape
    The Rectory garden - any new building should closely relate to the existing Victorian building.
    The Green is an important space.
    Trees in the Rectory grounds and the churchyard as well as to the east of the Green.
  • Setting
    The view from the west across Fawcetts Field.
  • Potential for enhancement
    Reducing the visual impact of the A337 by reducing and simplifying the quantity and distribution of highway and associated signs and equipment.
    Strengthening the sense of enclosure created by small-scale buildings around the Green.
    Definition of historic boundaries by sympathetic repair of walls and planting of trees and hedges.
    If historic structures exhibit a patchwork of stopgap repairs they lose credibility, the whole area becomes devalued and more difficult to protect against unsympathetic change.
Updated: 1 May 2015
Powered by GOSS iCM