Search site

Tent Campsite Licence

If you want to use land for tents in The New Forest you need a licence from us unless the land is used for camping, on:

  • less than 60 days in any 12 months
  • less than 42 days consecutively

When land is used as a campsite (including trailer tents) for longer than these periods you will require a licence under Section 269 of the Public Health Act 1936. You must have planning permission for the campsite before you can apply for a licence.

A licence application can be made online at There is no fee for this application or where it is combined with touring or static holiday caravans.  Before you apply, you may discuss an application with an officer of Environmental Health by telephoning the office on 023 8028 5230 (option 1).

Please also contact the office regarding the procedures transferring existing campsite licenses or amendment of conditions.

Licences are normally issued with conditions including:

  • how the site should be laid out
  • how many tents are allowed
  • what toilet and washing facilities should be provided
Updated: 23 Nov 2014
Powered by GOSS iCM