Search site

Animal Premises Licensing

Places that sell, care for or exhibit animals may require a licence.

We issue licences under a range of different legislation applying to pet shops, the breeding of dogs, cat and dog boarding establishments, riding establishments, dangerous wild animals and zoos.

On receipt of a valid application and fee, an officer and in some circumstances, a vet will inspect the premises to ensure that the premises and practices meet high standards of animal health, welfare and safety. We require holders of animal licenses' to meet industry standard "model" conditions as produced by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) and comply with the Animal Welfare and Control Model Conditions.

In cases where a vet needs to visit a premises, this is an additional cost to the fee that the Council charge to process the application.  The council will pass on the cost of the vets visit to the applicant at the rate at which the vet charges the council for his/her inspection.

If you apply for a licence, there will be a fee involved and the this can be found on our Fees and Charges 2018/2019 page. 


Updated: 1 Dec 2017
Powered by GOSS iCM