Search site

Road Closures for Special Events

Sometimes, in special circumstances roads are closed to allow sporting events, street parties, parades, etc. to take place.

When special events require the road to be closed off to general traffic a temporary road closure will be required which can only be granted with the written agreement of the police. Such closures require a traffic regulation order. All cost involved for both the closure and diversion signing will have to be borne by the event organiser. At least two months notice is required and for some events up to three months will be needed in order to organise them properly. Large events may require even longer!

In the first instance email giving details of the event, date(s) of closure requested and full contact details.

Application Form: adobe icon Road Closures for Special Events Application Form [361kb]

Usually roads which are closed for sporting events can only be closed once a year without the consent of The Secretary of State.

Demonstrations can not be dealt with by the Council and for these events the police must be contacted so that they can make the appropriate arrangements. The police should be contacted if the road needs to be closed without notice if there is an emergency.

Small Scale Street Parties

New Forest District Council want to make it as straightforward as possible for residents to organise a street party for themselves and their neighbours.  If you are planning a small street party on a residential road with no through traffic, you may be required to give as little as four weeks notice, and you won't have to comply with all of the application requirements which apply to larger events.  In particular:-

  • You won't have to pay an application fee
  • You won't have to consult the Highway Authority, Police or public transport operators before submitting your application
  • New Forest District Council will not require that you take out public liability insurance to cover your event (although it recommends that you do so)

To decide  whether the event you are planning falls into the category of a small street party, have a look at the table below


The event is for residents/neighbours only

Less than 500 people are expected to attend

The road to be closed is a residential road with no through traffic, and only residents' traffic will be affected

There is no bus route along the road to be closed

There is no taxi rank on the road to be closed

There are no shops or other businesses (or access to shops or business premises) on the road to be closed

There is no public car park on or accessed via the road to be closed (other than a car park for residents' of the road)

The event will only be publicised to residents

There will be no entry charge for the event

If you think the event you are planning is a small street party, please call 023 8028 5260 and we can provide you with more information about what you need to do to apply for a road closure.

adobe icon Small Scale Street Party Application Form [326kb]

Updated: 8 Apr 2015
Powered by GOSS iCM