Search site

Mobile Food Sales

New Forest District Council has not adopted relevant bye-laws which would require the licensing of street traders. However, there are restrictions which dictate where traders may operate within the District.

This Department frequently receives enquiries from owners of mobile catering units (e.g. burger vans, ice cream vans etc.) as to where they can trade within the New Forest District Council area. Firstly your food business will need to be registered under the Food Safety & Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013 with the Local Authority in the area it is kept. Application for registration must be made at least 28 days before you intend to start your business. These forms are available free of charge from the address at the top of this page. New Forest District Council cannot register vehicles unless they are based within their area.

Unfortunately, it is perhaps easier to describe where trading is NOT permitted than where it is permissible.It is hoped that this list of prohibitions does not dampen your enthusiasm.

Prohibited by local bye-laws

  1. The A31 Cadnam-Ringwood road.
  2. The following streets and footways of Lymington:    High Street, St. Thomas Street, Queen Street, St. Thomas Park, part of Southampton Road (from the junction with Avenue Road to the junction with Standford Hill and Queen Street), Avenue Road, East Hill, Gosport Street, New Street, Brunswick Place, Emsworth Road, Barfields, School Lane, Cannon Street, North Close, Priestlands Place, part of Stanford Hill (from the junction with Highfield to the junction with Southampton Road) and Highfield [a map detailing this area is available on request]

For all other areas, you must ensure that the landowner has given permission before you attempt to trade in any location..

Updated: 23 Oct 2014
Powered by GOSS iCM