Search site

Street naming and numbering

Address Management

House number Email:

The address of a property is increasingly becoming a very important issue.  The Emergency Services in particular need a rapid efficient means of locating and referencing properties.  Businesses and the general public all require access to accurate address information. 

This Council is the Street Naming and Numbering Authority for the area.  It carries out these functions under the provisions of the Public Health Act 1925 sections 17 -19.

How do I Name or Re-name my House?

If the properties in your street are numbered, you do not have to seek our permission to add a name to your property. However we would like you to inform us in writing (preferably by email) of the property name to enable us to keep your property details up to date.  You will still need to use the property number in your address.

If the properties in your street are not numbered (i.e. house names only), you must seek our permission to change your property name. This is required primarily to avoid having similar or same house names in the same area as this may cause confusion to Emergency Services or delivery difficulties to Royal Mail and other delivery companies. Your request will need to be in writing (preferably by email), stating your name, the present full address of the property and the new preferred name.

We will undertake a check on your proposed house name change within our address gazetteer. Where the proposed name change is satisfactory, the new house name will be registered and confirmed to you in writing. This confirmation is a legal document and should be retained for your records. If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will request an alternative.

The property name change information is then sent to Royal Mail, the Valuation Office Agency, Emergency Services and other relevant Council services.

It is the responsibility of property owners to inform Land Registry of a house name change approval.  The contact address is Citizen Centre, PO Box 74, Gloucester, GL14 9BB, telephone number 0300 006 0411.  Email address or an online form can be completed via their website at

Developing a Single Property/Small Development - How do I Number Properties?

If you are a developer of a new property (single or small development), you should contact us as soon as you commence work on site. A single or small development will usually be named or numbered into the existing street. If the property is within a numbered road, then often ABCs are used along with the adjoining number (for example 12A, 12B, 12C...).

If the street has named properties, then the development plot numbers will be used initially to register the property address with this Authority and subsequently, when the new owner chooses a name, we will follow our standard process of Property Name Change (see 'How Do I Name My House' above). The information is then sent to Royal Mail, emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey and relevant Council services. You will also be sent a copy of the registered address from which we would ask you to inform your prospective purchasers of their new property address.

Road sign Developing a Large Estate - How do I Name New Streets and Number Properties?

If you are a developer of a large estate, you should contact us as soon as you commence work on site and provide a detailed Site Plan clearly indicating the main access to each property together with plot numbers so that we can process the naming of any new streets and the numbering of your new properties without delay. We will check your suggested street names for duplication in the local area and forward them to Royal Mail for consultation.  We will also consult with the local Town or Parish Council and local district council ward member(s).

When we have an agreed name, we will then register the street name/s and prepare a numbering schedule. The information is then sent to emergency services, Land Registry, Ordnance Survey and relevant Council services. You will also be sent a copy of the naming and numbering schedule from which we would ask you to inform all your prospective purchasers of their new property address. Where appropriate, you will be asked to provide street name plates to our standard design.  We will provide contact details for ordering and you will be invoiced for the cost.

What Happens if a Street Needs Renaming/Renumbering?

On rare occasions it becomes necessary to rename or renumber a street. This is usually only done as a last resort when one of the following applies:

  • there is confusion over a street's name and/or numbering
  • a group of residents are unhappy with their street name
  • new properties are built in a street and there is a need for other properties to be renumbered to accommodate the new properties
  • the number of named-only properties in a street is deemed to be causing confusion for visitors, the delivery or emergency services

Occupiers will be consulted and their views taken into account. Royal Mail and the relevant Town or Parish Council will also be consulted. To change a street name we will ballot the occupiers on the issue. We require at least a two-thirds majority in favour to make the change.

If you have a street naming or numbering issue, please contact or write to us at:

Address Management
New Forest District Council
Appletree Court
Beaulieu Road
SO43 7PA

Updated: 27 Jun 2017
Powered by GOSS iCM