Search site


Details concerning Drains, Private and Public Sewers and what to do if you get a blockage.

Responsibilities since October 2012:

You are responsible for the drainage pipe that serves only your property and is within the boundary of your property (except downstream from the point at where another property joins your pipe).

The sewage undertakers (Southern Water or Wessex Water) are responsible for all drainage pipes that are outside the boundary of your property and those drainage pipes within the boundary of your property that serve two or more properties.

To report a blocked sewer you need to know which Water Authority area you live in. This can be confirmed by checking a recent sewage bill.

Southern Water can be contacted for water and wastewater enquiries on 0330 3030368 (Calls may be charged at local rate).

Lines are open from 8am-7pm, Monday to Friday and from 9am-1pm on Saturdays.

Wessex Water can be contacted on 0345 6004600 (calls may be charged at local rate) Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, emergencies only at other times or at

If you are a NFDC Council Housing tenant then please contact the Housing Maintenance Team on 023 8028 5222 for all areas.

Hampshire County Council Highways can be contacted to report faults or problems with the roads (including highway gullies) on 0300 555 1388 or via their online fault report form.

How can I have a cesspool or septic tank emptied?

New Forest District Council does not provide this service. Please refer to the Yellow Pages for telephone details of contractors.

My neighbour's septic tank/cesspool appears to be overflowing. What can I do?

To maintain good neighbour relations, you may wish to discuss the problem with them, as they may not be aware of it.

If this does not work or if the septic tank or cesspool is flowing into a ditch and causing a smell nuisance, then please contact us on the above details.

Other useful links


Bournemouth and West Hampshire Water PLC

Southern Water

Wessex Water

Updated: 18 Mar 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM