Search site

Stray dogs and other animals

I have lost or found a dog, what do I do?

Call the Dog Warden Service, Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7PA. Tel - 023 8028 5000

As part of promoting responsible animal ownership, the council has a legal duty to deal with stray animals.

Stray Dogs

New Forest District Council ("The Council") has a duty under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 section 149 to collect and seize stray dogs.

I have found a dog or lost a dog. Who should I contact?

If you have found a stray dog or have an enquiry regarding a lost or found dog then during office hours please call the Dog Warden Service on 023 8028 5000

Alternatively, you can call 023 80 285202 and leave your name and a contact telephone number together with details of the dog on the answer phone and the Dog Warden Service will then contact you on the next working day to make arrangements for collection of the dog and the return of any dogs that have been found.

How much will it cost?

If your dog is seized by the Council there is a charge to retrieve it. This is made up of a statutory Government charge of £25, a daily kennel fee and any other reasonable expenses. There may also be a charge for any vet bills should the dog require any medical attention whilst it is in our care.

These fees must be paid for in full before a dog will be released back to its owner.

Where and how can I pay for the release of my dog?

Arrangements can be made for you to pay at various Council Offices or Council Recreation Centres using cash, credit/debit card or by personal cheque (as long as the cheque is supported by a valid cheque guarantee card). You will be issued with a release certificate which you must present to the kennels.

A dog keeps straying in the neighbourhood. What can I do?

Contact the Dog Warden Service on 023 8028 5000 during office hours.  Dogs out on their own are a danger to themselves, the community and other animals.

What happens to dogs that are not claimed?

Dogs that have not been claimed within seven days become the property of the Council and are re-homed.

Dogs are only ever euthanised if they are suffering, or are too vicious to re-home. This is only done after a veterinary consultation and is very rare.

What about other Animals?

Under the Animal Act 1971 the Council can impound any livestock which has strayed onto Council land.

The animals are only returned to their owners after payment for any damages and expenses incurred.

Livestock that has strayed onto private land may also be impounded, at the written request of the landowner.

If known, the owner of the animal will be informed that the animal has strayed onto Council land, and be given details of where it can be collected, subject to the payment for any damage caused, and expenses incurred.

The Council will notify the police of the straying animal and inform them that we intend to impound it.

The Council will arrange for the animal to be impounded and removed to a suitable establishment where it will be held for a fourteen days.

The animal will be returned, on satisfactory proof of ownership and the payment for any damage caused, and expenses incurred.

If any animal has not been claimed after fourteen days, it will be sold. If the owner appears after this time and produces satisfactory proof of ownership, any monies received will be given to the owner less the cost of any damage caused, and expense incurred.

Other useful links

Updated: 15 Mar 2019
Powered by GOSS iCM