Search site

Environmental Permits

Some industrial techniques have potential to cause pollution. Since 1990 many of these processes have required a 'Permit' from the Environment Agency and Local Authorities to enable them to operate.

General Information

'Prescribed Processes' are those industrial technologies that have a potential to cause pollution and are prescribed by legislation.

The Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2016 (as amended) requires that processes identified by the above regulations, must have a Permit to operate.

The Regulations cover a wider range of industrial processes using A1, A2 and 'Part B' classifications.

A1 Processes - The Environment Agency controls A1 processes

Includes processes such as Fawley Refinery, Marchwood Incinerator and most waste sites

A2 Processes - Local Authorities control A2 process

There is only one known A2 process within the New Forest District, which is a timber treatment process

Part B Processes - Local Authorities also control Part B processes.

Includes processes such as petrol stations, dry cleaners, car sprayers etc.

Any person or body operating an A2 or 'Part B' process that requires a Permit must submit an application, with a fee, to the local authority. The authority must then assess the application within a set period of time, then ultimately either issue a Permit in accordance with government guidance or refuse the application.

The operator of the prescribed process must comply with the conditions of the Permit and they will be subject to inspection to ensure this is the case.

Where can I obtain information on applying for a Permit?

Guidance is continually issued by the Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to help both local authorities, industry or anyone affected by a 'Permitted Process'.

Where can I obtain an application form?

Application forms are available from the on-line DEFRA Guidance Manual Part C. Please contact the Environmental Protection Section on 023 8028 5411-Option 2  or at prior to completing the application.

Where can I obtain Guidance Notes for particular processes?

Sector Guidance Notes (LA-IPPC) and Process Guidance Notes (LAPPC) issued and amended by DEFRA are available on-line.

Where can I obtain current fees and charges?

The application, annual subsistence and substantial change fees and charges are set by Central Government and can be found on the DEFRA website. The on-line fees are from 2014-15 and are still current for the financial year 2016-17; however, they are imminently about to be increased.

Where Can I View a Permit?

All Permits within the New Forest District are available to the public for viewing at our Lyndhurst office. Please contact us if you require this service. Charges may apply if you require photocopies.


Other useful links

Department for the Environment Food and Rural Affairs

Updated: 23 Apr 2020
Powered by GOSS iCM