Search site

Accident Reporting and Investigation (RIDDOR)

A duty is placed on employers to report some serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences. This enables us to identify how and where risks arise and to investigate where necessary.

The investigation of dangerous occurrences and accidents at work forms an important part of our work. The outcome of these enquiries usually involves the giving of advice to the employer. If a blatant breach of requirements is identified as the main reason for an accident happening, then formal action will be taken. The adobe icon Incident Selection Criteria [255kb] details when we will investigate.

What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR - the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013, puts duties on employers, the self-employed and people in control of work premises (the Responsible Person) to report certain serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences (near misses). Further information can be found on the HSE Riddor website. Click on the link for information on the types of reportable incidents.

Who do I report to?

You can report an accident, injury or dangerous occurrence here. This is then forwarded either to the HSE or the local authority depending upon who the enforcing authority is.

However, fatal and major injuries and incidents can still be reported to an HSE Incident Contact Centre by telephoning 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm) at present.

What records must be kept?

You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. This must include the date and method of reporting, the date, time and place of the event, personal details of those involved and a brief description of the nature of the event or disease. You can keep the record in any form you wish, for example by keeping copies of completed report forms in a file, in an accident book or by recording the details on a computer that the worker is absent or is unable to do work that they would reasonably be expected to do as part of their normal work.

Investigation Reports

If we have investigated a work related accident we will sometimes be able to provide a factual statement on the investigation to the injured person or their legal advisor seeking a compensation claim. Please note that there is a charge for provision of this information.

Updated: 5 Apr 2018
Powered by GOSS iCM