Search site

Accidents Reporting and Investigation

A duty is placed on employers to report some serious workplace accidents, occupational diseases and specified dangerous occurrences. This enables us to identify how and where risks arise and to investigate where necessary.

The investigation of dangerous occurrences and accidents at work forms an important part of the Department's work. The outcome of these enquiries usually involves the giving of advice to the employer. If a blatant breach of requirements is identified as the main reason for an accident happening, then formal action will be taken. Our adobe icon Incident Selection Criteria Nov 2013 [149kb] details when we will investigate.

In the event that someone who has been injured as a result of a work related accident wishes to pursue a compensation claim their legal advisor may wish to obtain a factual statement from us. This details the investigation into the accident and the findings. This can be provided - please contact us for further information.

What is RIDDOR?

It is the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013. More details on your duties under RIDDOR are provided on this page, and on the HSE website. Information on the types of incidents which are reportable can be found here.

Who do I report to?

The statutory reporting to HSE/LA of work-related injuries and incidents under RIDDOR (the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013) is a predominantly online system.  The revised online forms are available from the HSE website.

However, fatal and major injuries and incidents can still be reported to an HSE Incident Contact Centre by telephoning 0845 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm) as at present.

What records must be kept?

You must keep a record of any reportable injury, disease or dangerous occurrence. This must include the date and method of reporting, the date, time and place of the event, personal details of those involved and a brief description of the nature of the event or disease. You can keep the record in any form you wish, for example by keeping copies of completed report forms in a file, in an accident book or by recording the details on a computer that the worker is absent or is unable to do work that they would reasonably be expected to do as part of their normal work.

Updated: 11 Nov 2014
Powered by GOSS iCM