Search site

Appeals and Backdating

Information on appeals procedures and circumstances under which your claim can be backdated


If you disagree with our decision about your benefit.

If you want to know more about any decision made on your Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction you should get in touch with us within one calendar month of the date on the decision notice.

Please get in touch with us by phoning 01590 646121, or in writing.

When you get a notice telling you about your benefit, you can ask for:-

  • An explanation of the decision. This can be made in writing or by phone, or
  • A written statement of reasons. This can help you to decide if you wish to appeal against the decision, or
  • A revision of the decision. This means we will check the decision to see if all the details are correct. If any of the details are incorrect your benefit will be revised and a new notification issued to you. If the details are all correct you will also be advised that the decision can not be changed.

or you can

  • Appeal against the decision. This must be made in writing, clearly stating why you disagree with the decision and it must be made within one month of the date of the decision notice. If after checking your claim, the decision can not be changed and you still disagree, for Housing Benefit your appeal will be sent to an independent tribunal administered by the Appeals Service. For appeals against any Council Tax Reduction decision you can appeal direct to the Valuations Tribunal, you can contact them by phoning 0300 123 2035 or by sending an e-mail to

We do not advise you to do so at this stage as it is better to have the details checked first, and be given reasons for the decision if it cannot be altered.  Appeals Service website

You can request an explanation or review a decision by clicking on the link at the bottom of this page - Benefits - Request for an Explanation or Review of decision.


Benefit is usually awarded from the Monday following the date we receive your application form so it is important not to delay in sending your form to us.

You can request your award of benefit to be backdated, up to a maximum of one month for working age people.  This must be done in writing, clearly stating your reasons for the delay in making your claim or for the delay in returning your claim form.  We will notify you of our decision in writing.

Updated: 4 Apr 2016
Powered by GOSS iCM