Search site

Tourist Signing

New Forest District Council deals with tourist signing applications on Hampshire County Council's (HCC's) behalf.

Tourism plays an important role in the local business economy and HCC and this Council are keen to support the industry.  However, it is necessary to balance this against the needs of road safety, traffic management and the environment including concerns about sign clutter.

To help achieve this balance, HCC's Tourist Signing Policy identifies all 'A', 'B' roads, certain 'C' class roads and additionally all 'C' class roads within the New Forest Heritage Area, followed now by the National Park, as 'designated roads' from which visitor attractions and facilities can be considered for signing, ie from the nearest point on that designated road network. Facilities with direct access onto this network will not normally be considered for signing. However some attractions, with large visitor numbers, can be considered for signing from a wider designated road network.   See below for map of classified roads in the NF area.

If you feel you qualify and would like to be considered for tourist signing for your attraction or facility, please print off the application form (BELOW) and send to the address stated on page 8. The preliminary enquiry referred to on that page can be made to

Please read the application form carefully as there is a non returnable fee of £125 for all applications received.

adobe icon Map of Classified Roads in the NF Area [19Mb]

adobe icon Tourist Sign Application Form [393kb]

Updated: 22 Apr 2015
Powered by GOSS iCM