Search site

European Union Citizens - Registering to vote

If you live at an address in the United Kingdom but are a citizen of another member state of the European Union (Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden) you may register to vote at local level elections only.

You can register online at  Fill in your name, address, date of birth and a few other details.  You'll also need your national insurance number, which can be found on official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.

Although you may register to vote at local level elections, you may not register to vote at United Kingdom Parliamentary elections until such time as you become a citizen of the United Kingdom or a citizen of the Commonwealth and British Independent Territories.

Details about citizenship and other issues relating to immigration and nationality can be found on both  the Home Office and the Direct Government websites.

Further information on registration and elections can be found on the Electoral Commission's website.

Updated: 16 Aug 2016
Powered by GOSS iCM