Search site

Licensing Act 2003

Applications and Licences

The Licensing Act 2003 introduced a licensing system covering the:

  • Sale of alcohol
  • Supply of alcohol to members of a qualifying club
  • Provision of regulated entertainment
  • Provision of late night refreshment

The Act amalgamated the then separate licences required for cinemas, theatres, public entertainment, late night refreshment, justices liquor licences and clubs registration certificates, and replaced them with one licence, either:

A Premises Licence, or

A Club Premises Certificate, or

A Temporary Event Notice.

Under the Act, a licence to cover the use of the premises or area will now be required for any of the following licensable activities unless the activity is covered by the provisions of the Live Music Act 2012, the Entertainment Amendment Orders 2013 & 2014 or the Deregulation Act 2015 (adobe icon see guidance [8kb]):-

  • The sale/supply of alcohol
  • Performance of a play
  • Exhibition of a film
  • Indoor sporting events
  • Boxing or wrestling events
  • Performing live music
  • Playing recorded music
  • Supplying hot food or drink between 11:00pm and 5:00am

Also a personal licence will be required for the sale of alcohol in premises authorised by a Premises Licence.

New Forest District Council is the Licensing Authority under the Act for the New Forest area, and has produced a Statement of Licensing adobe icon Policy [105kb] which explains what the Council will take into account when considering an application.  NFDC has also produced general guidance notes for the Licensing Act 2003 which deals with licences needed for the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment.  The Licensing Policy has been based on Guidance supplied by Central Government and the licensing objective, namely:-

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • Protection of children from harm

All application forms are available within the Linked Documents on this page or via the following link to the Home Office where you can either download an application as a pdf document or complete a word document to send electronically.  These forms are prescribed by regulations and must be used when making an application.

The completed application form and accompanying documents should be returned on line or by post to: Licensing Section, New Forest District Council, Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, SO43 7PA.  adobe icon Fees [34kb] are prescribed and if you are paying by cheque, please make it payable to New Forest District Council.

Application for licences

Please ensure you read all guidance, information and linked documents before you complete the relevant application forms.

Application Forms

Premises Licence

Club Premises Certificate

Personal Licence

Variation of a Premises Licence

Variation of a Club Premises Licence

Changing Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

Other forms

Application for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Alternatively you may apply online GOV.UK.

Please note that if you are an Interested Party and wish to review an application, you can do so by visiting the Licensing Section during office hours between 8:45am and 5:15pm Monday to Thursday and between 8:45am and 4:45pm on Friday.

Objections or Complaints about Pubs and Bars

Any person wishing to make a complaint concerning the conduct of licensed premises should detail their complaint in writing to Licensing Services, New Forest District Council, Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, SO43 7PA

There are restrictions placed on who is able to lodge a valid complaint and it is advisable to talk with a member of the licensing service team of New Forest District Council in the first instance. 

Any person wishing to make an objection concerning the application for the issue of a premises licence should detail their objections in writing to Licensing Services, New Forest District Council, Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, SO43 7PA or email Licensing.

There are time limits and restrictions placed on who is able to object to a licence, details of which can be found in the guidance notes and associated links of New Forest District Council, Licensing Services.

Tel: 023 8028 5505 or email Licensing

Updated: 12 Apr 2017
Powered by GOSS iCM