Search site

Animal Welfare

The control of stray dogs and animal welfare.

We provide a number of services:

  •  and of dogs
  • The control of stray dogs under the Environmental Protection Act 1990
  • Noise Control under the EPA 1990 (barking dogs and other animal noise)
  • Dangerous Dogs Act 1989
  • Dogs Fouling of Land Act 1996. Including bin installations, dog fouling notices and 'poop scoop' bags.
  • Animal Boarding Establishment Act 1963
  • Pet Animals Act 1951
  • Animal Welfare Act 2006
  • Permanent pet identification in the form of Micro-chipping

Cruelty to animals - who should you call: If you suspect that an animal of any kind is being subjected to any form or cruelty then the only organisation that can legally deal with this is the Royal Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals. You can also call the National Cruelty Helpline on 0300 1234 999.

The Local Authority has formal links with the Department of Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) in enforcing national legislation governing the health and welfare of farm animals. This includes responding to complaints of neglect or ill treatment of livestock on farms, during transport, at markets, etc.

The identification and registration schemes that are in place to control animal movements are also overseen by the Local Authority, along with the issuing of animal movement licences for on farm movements and movement to slaughter.

Updated: 22 Dec 2015
Powered by GOSS iCM