Food and Safety privacy notice

The Food and Safety Team of New Forest District Council (NFDC) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy when you use our services. For the purpose of the 2018 General Data Protection Regulation, the Data Controller is New Forest District Council, Appletree Court, Beaulieu Road, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7PA. This privacy policy sets out how and when we use any personal information that we collect about you when you use our services, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure.

When you contact us to access our services, or we contact you as part of an investigation we may ask you for certain personal information in order to be able to assist you with your enquiry or to enable us to investigate fully. Some of this information will be recorded and stored on our systems.


What information do we collect about you?

When you register your business with us we require your name, and contact details, such as your address, email address and telephone number. If you choose not to supply the required information we will not be able to register your new business.

In the course of an investigation - for example into illness you may be suffering from, or an accident you have had, we may also require your date of birth, symptoms you are suffering from, details of injuries, the names and details of other people such as your family who may be linked, your occupation and those of your family, your GP surgery, your food history - i.e. what you have eaten and where, and places you have visited. We will gather this information because it is in the public interest in the area of public health or health and safety. If you choose not to supply the requested information, we may not be able to carry out the investigation.


How will we use the information about you?

We use the information collected to enable us to contact you in relation to food hygiene and health and safety inspections, during the investigation of complaints about your business and to keep you informed on new guidance or legal requirements. In the case of an investigation the information may be used to identify the source of an isolated case of illness, to identify an outbreak, or to identify the cause of the accident.

We will not use your information for any marketing purposes.


How do we store your information, and for how long?

The information we collect is carefully stored electronically.

We will hold a completed registration form, certificate of registration or application for approval for the duration that the business is in operation to enable it to be used as evidence if required. Once the business is closed it is retained for seven years.

Information collected as part of an investigation is kept for seven years following the completion of the investigation, except in the case of an accident to a minor when the data is retained for 7 years from attaining age 18. If the investigation relates to exposure to noise, vibration, lead, asbestos and chemicals, the information is retained for 40 years from attaining age 18.


When and why we share your information

We do not share your information with anyone else unless we are required to do so by law or it is necessary to provide our services to you.

Below is a list who we may share your information with:


Shared with

What and why


Building Control

We may pass on information to enable Building Control to meet its statutory obligations.

Development Control

We may need to pass on information, for example in relation to a new business, where there may be planning implications.

Environmental Protection

If your enquiry concerns issues that our colleagues may be able to assist you with, for example relating to business extraction flue requirements, or noise issues.

Land Charges

We share information with land charges if we serve a legal notice on a business.

Legal Services

We may share info with legal services if we are considering taking legal action, to enable them to advise us on


We share information with licensing if we consider a licence may be required - e.g. sale of alcohol or entertainment.


Hampshire County Council

If you are a food business, we share your information with Hampshire Trading Standards to meet its statutory obligations (e.g. details of newly registered business).

Hampshire Fire and Rescue

We may share information if possible fire safety issues arise during the course of a visit.

Public Health England

We share your information with Public Health England to meet its statutory obligations, especially relating to the investigation of food poisoning outbreaks

Health and Safety Executive

We may share your information, in connection with an accident or incident investigation.


We may share your information, in connection with an accident or incident investigation.

Care Quality Commission

We may share your information, in connection with an accident or incident investigation where CQC are the enforcing authority.


What are our legal grounds for processing your information?

  • With your consent;

  • Where it is in the public interest to do so;

  • To comply with a legal requirement - for example processing enquiries relating to the setting up of a new food business, or registration of a premises/person undertaking skin piercing

  • Where it is in the legitimate interest of NFDC to do so; for example where there may be a risk to health and safety;

  • With your explicit consent or where there is a substantial public interest. For example when dealing with sensitive issues, such as health related issues.

When we rely on your consent or explicit consent and you wish to withdraw this consent, you can do so by contacting us at the address above or at


Further information and how to contact us

We work hard to ensure that we only gather information that we need to, to deliver the services that you entitled to in the best way possible. However, if you have any concerns you can contact us by email, telephone 023 8028 5230, or write to Environmental Health, Appletree Court, Beaulieu Road, Lyndhurst, Southampton, Hampshire, SO43 7PA.

The Council's Information Rights Policy at sets out your rights in relation to your personal data, including your rights to see information we hold on you and the other rights you have in respect of how we process your information.

If you are concerned or unhappy with our use of your personal information you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) at, email: or by telephone: 0303 123 1113.

We keep our privacy policy under regular review and we will place any updates on this web page.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email


Print this page