Water quality for public bathing
The public bathing water season in New Forest is from 15 May to 30 September.
At intervals during this season, the Environment Agency take samples at these designated bathing beaches:
- Barton-on-Sea (also known as Christchurch Bay)
- Lepe (managed by Hampshire County Council)
These samples are analysed against the standards in the European Bathing Water Directive.
The latest bathing water results for the New Forest area are published by the Environment Agency:
- Christchurch Bay bathing water profile
- Calshot bathing water profile
- Lepe bathing water profile
- Milford-on-Sea bathing water profile
Solent Water Quality Award Scheme
In addition to meeting European bathing water standards, the Solent Water Quality Award Scheme was launched in 1992.
It provides a simple and readily understood indicator of satisfactory water quality at bathing beaches and, where feasible, in recreational waters around the Solent.
A summary of bathing water quality for the New Forest can be found at The Solent Forum.