Bulky waste collection
If you have a large item that can't be reused elsewhere, and you are not able to take it to the tip, we can collect it from you for a small charge.
Places to donate or dispose of items
Before you book a bulky waste collection, consider if it can be reused or recycled elsewhere.
There are some voluntary groups and charities that may be able to reuse your item. Others may be able to recycle or dispose of it for you.
To help you establish if your item is suitable for donation or if it can be dumped, use our online service below.
You can also search the online marketplace LoveJunk to be matched to nearby licensed waste carriers and reuse charities.
Book a bulky waste collection
You can call us to book a bulky waste collection on 023 8028 5000.
Payment must be made at the time of booking and can be done by credit or debit card.
If you make payments over the telephone our process has changed. You will be transferred to a secure payment line where you will be asked to enter your card details using your telephone keypad.
For cash payments, you must make your booking at one of our local information offices.
Cost of collection
The collection of one bulky waste item costs £39.
Collection of any additional items, up to a maximum of eight, costs £10.50 per item.
If you receive certain benefits, you can apply for one free collection of up to three items in any one financial year (April to March).
For more information, contact Customer Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 023 8028 5000.
Items we will collect
Examples of upholstered seating, and other furnishings, which we can collect
- upholstered sofas
- upholstered chairs, including dining chairs, office chairs
- upholstered armchairs, including those with an electric motor
- upholstered stools
- floor and sofa cushions
Please note, to collect upholstered seating, any damage needs to be sealed with tape or plastic, and covered, for us to collect it.
This is so we can comply with requirements for the disposal of upholstered seating. Otherwise, our crews will be unable to collect the item(s), and another chargeable collection will need to be booked.
Examples of other items we can collect
- bed bases
- mattresses (single, double, and king-size only)
- wardrobes (depending on size)
- tables (no glass)
- cookers/ovens (not including range cookers such as AGAs)
- washing machines
- internal doors
- fridges and freezers (not including American-style double fridge freezers)
- carpet (see below)
Carpet should be no more than two metres (six feet) in length. If your carpet is longer than two metres, please cut it into smaller pieces and roll it together. Up to two rolls can count as one item. Underlay is counted as a separate item.
Examples of what we cannot collect
- garage doors
- external doors
- electric beds
- double fridge freezers (American-style)
- range cookers, such as AGAs
- glass, including mirrors and glass-topped tables
If you are not sure about an item, contact us for advice by emailing email@example.com
When collections take place
To comply with regulations for the disposal of upholstered seating, we collect items such as upholstered sofas, armchairs and beanbags separately. These items are collected Thursday to Friday.
All other items are collected Monday to Wednesday.
Our bulky waste collection vehicle schedule is as follows.
All items excluding upholstered seating such as sofas and armchairs
- Monday: Ashurst, Bransgore, Neacroft, Crow, Burley, Frogham, Ringwood, Fordingbridge, Woodgreen, Alderholt, Breamore, Godshill, Whitsbury, Lyndhurst, Brook, Bramshaw, Minstead, Totton, Calmore & Cadnam, Bartley, Copythorne, Woodlands, Winsor, Ower
- Tuesday: Exbury, Boldre, Everton, Brockenhurst, Sway, Tiptoe, Milford, Ashley, New Milton, Lymington, Hordle, Barton, Pennington, Bashley, Beaulieu
- Wednesday: Hythe, Holbury, Blackfield, Marchwood, Fawley, Dibden, Calshot, Langley, Netley Marsh, Exbury
Upholstered seating only including items such as sofas and armchairs
- Thursday: Hythe, Holbury, Blackfield, Marchwood, Fawley, Dibden, Calshot, Langley, Netley Marsh, Lyndhurst, Brook, Bramshaw, Minstead, Totton, Calmore, Cadnam, Bartley, Copythorne, Woodlands, Winsor, Ower, Ashurst, Beaulieu, Bank, Lepe, East End, East Boldre, Pilley
- Friday: New Milton, Pennington, Lymington, Brockenhurst, Barton on Sea, Bransgore, Burley, Ringwood, Fordingbridge, Hordle, Emery Down, Bashley, Boldre, Sway, Tiptoe, Breamore, Damerham, Sopley, Woodgreen
You will be told the date of your collection when you book.
We always book the first available collection slot, which is usually one to two weeks from time of booking. Space for sofas and larger items on collection vehicles is limited, so it may take longer to receive a collection slot.
Please note, if you are booking for multiple items, we may need to collect items on separate days. This will depend on the items booked for collection, and availability.
Where to leave your items for collection
Your bulky waste items must be at the front of your property by 6am on the day of collection.
Please note, if your items are not out on collection day you will not be eligible for a refund and will need to schedule a separate delivery.
Please leave items where they are easily accessible to our collection crew, such as in your front garden or driveway. If you do not have a garden or driveway, be considerate of pedestrians when putting your items on the pavement.
Items must be left outside your property. We cannot enter your house, garage or shed to collect items.
Please note, any upholstered furniture which has been split or damaged, will need to be sealed with tape or plastic, before collection. The items also need to be protected from the rain and covered. Otherwise, our crews will be unable to collect the items, and another chargeable collection will need to be booked.
We can only collect items which have been specified at the time of booking.
Add items to an existing booking
You can request to add more bulky waste items to an existing booking. This costs £10.50 per additional item and depends on space being available on the same vehicle.
If space is not available on the same vehicle, the items will be processed as a new booking.
We are unable to provide refunds for items which are stolen when left out for collection. If you think your item has been stolen, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Refunds will be considered if you cancel your collection within 48 hours of the original booking.
Cancellations made after 48 hours of booking will not be refunded.
To request a refund, email email@example.com.
Report a missed collection
If you think we have missed your bulky waste collection, you can report it below. Please note, missed collections must be reported within 24 hours.