Toggle menu

Welfare benefits and money advice

There are many different types of benefit and support available. We can give general advice and signpost you to sources of information.

We have provided information on support with the cost of living.

Visit Connect to Support Hampshire for information on money matters, including support for carers 

Visit the Turn2Us website to find out what benefits you may be entitled to

Visit the GOV.UK website for general guidance and support on benefits and use the Benefit checker, you can also see if you are entitled to any help with childcare costs

Visit the Connect to Support website for information about advice, activities and services.

If you are looking for work Jobcentre Plus provide lots of advice and information

On this page:

Types of benefit

Armed Forces Pension

Armed Forces Pension is for members of HM Armed Forces when they reach retirement age.

Visit the GOV.UK website to learn more about Armed Forces Pension.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is for those who are:

  • aged 65 and over
  • have a physical or mental disability
  • need help with personal care due to their disability for at least six months.

Visit the GOV.UK website to submit an Attendance Allowance claim or call 0800 731 0122.

Bereavement Support Payment

Bereavement Support Payment is a benefit you can claim if your husband, wife or civil partner has died in the last 21 months.

Visit the GOV.UK website to learn more about Bereavement Support Payment or call 0800 731 0469.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is for those who are caring for a severely disabled person for at least 35 hours a week. The the disabled person must be receiving one of the following benefits.

  • Disability Living Allowance.
  • Personal Independence Payments.
  • Attendance Allowance.
  • War Pensions Constant Attendance Allowance. 

Visit the GOV.UK website to learn more about Carer's Allowance or call 0800 731 0297.

Child Benefit

Child Benefit is a benefit you can claim for if you are responsible for a child who is under 16, or under 20 if they remain in education or training.

Visit the GOV.UK website to make a claim for Child Benefit or call 0300 200 3300.

Council Tax support

Council Tax Support is to help those on a low income with paying Council Tax.

Find out more about Council Tax support.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments are to help people who:

Find out more about Discretionary Housing Payments.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is for those who have reached the qualifying retirement age. The amount awarded depends on your income and savings.

Visit the GOV.UK website to learn more about Pension Credit or call 0800 99 1234.

Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

Personal Independence Payments are available to those who have a long-term ill health or disability.

Visit the GOV.UK website to learn more about PIP or call 0800 917 2222.

State Pension

State pension is for those who have reached the qualifying age.

Visit the GOV.UK website to learn more about State Pension.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is for those in or out of work on a low income, and includes housing costs.

Find out more about Universal Credit or call 0800 328 5644.

Money problems

Dealing with money issues can be difficult. If you do not understand or organise your money, you could end up losing out financially or get into debt.

If you find yourself in debt, you can find free advice from the following services.

Debts are usually split into priority debts and non-priority debts. Priority debts include:

  • rent or mortgage
  • Council Tax
  • loans
  • gas and electricity bills
  • court fines.

Non-priority debts include:

  • credit cards
  • unsecured loans
  • store cards
  • catalogues.

Borrowing can be expensive and can get you into debt.  If you are borrowing more than you can afford, you can find useful tips on the Money Advice Service website to work out the true cost of borrowing.

Managing your money gives you more control over your debts. Visit the Money Advice Service website for a beginner's guide to managing your money.

Other types of support

Moving from benefits into work

You can get support from Jobcentre Plus to help you prepare for and stay in work. This includes starting a business, work experience and training.

Visit the GOV.UK website to contact Jobcentre Plus or you can call 0345 604 3719. The addresses of our local Jobcentre Plus offices are listed below.


Cannot Court
SO41 9AQ


20-22 Southampton Road
BH24 1HY


15-17 Pylewell Road
SO45 6ZL

Visit the GOV.UK website for help with moving from benefits to work.

Support if you are pregnant and on a low income

If you are pregnant, or have a child under 4, you could be entitled to Healthy Start vouchers to help buy basic food supplies, such as milk, formula milk, vitamins, fruit and vegetables.

To qualify for Healthy Start, you need to be at least 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4 years old, and you or your family must receive:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit with a family income of £16,190 or less a year
  • or Universal Credit with no earned income or total income of less than £408 a month.

Visit the Healthy Start website for more information and details on how to apply.

NHS Low Income Scheme

If you have a low income, you may be able to get help with National Health costs such as:

  • prescription costs
  • dental costs
  • eyecare costs
  • healthcare travel costs
  • wigs and fabric supports.

Visit the NHS website to learn more about the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email