Toggle menu

Get permission to make improvements to your council home

You're responsible for decorating and doing DIY to the inside of your council home. 

However, you'll need to get permission before you make any major alterations or improvements.

If you are on an introductory tenancy, any applications will automatically be declined as per our policy. If there is an exceptional need for you to apply for permission whilst in this period, please contact us on 02380 285222.

Improvements you don't need permission for

You don't need to ask for permission to make small alterations or improvements.

These include:

  • decorating inside your home, walls, ceiling and woodwork
  • putting up shelves or curtain rails, where not restricted such as a Hostel, PSL
  • hanging wall cabinets in kitchen and bathroom
  • carpets, laminate or vinyl flooring
  • purpose made built in wardrobes or bedroom furniture
  • fitting a Keysafe to the outside of a front or rear door of a property (Not including communal front and rear doors)

Improvements you'll need to get permission for

Let us know if you want to:

  • adding, moving, altering or rewiring of any electrics
  • adding to or changing your heating or hot water system
  • refitting or altering a kitchen, bathroom, or shower room
  • the removal or erecting of fencing and gates
  • installing a driveway, hard-standing or paved parking area or creating a second means of access
  • the installation of external CCTV cameras/equipment
  • installation of stairlifts
  • the concreting/hard landscaping of outdoor areas
  • creating patios
  • erection of a shed/summerhouse/garden structure (not permitted in a communal garden/area)
  • removal of trees
  • installation of ramps and rails inside and out
  • animal pens - external (not permitted in a communal garden/area)
  • installing an outside tap
  • using a property as a business
  • construction of car ports
  • adaptions to utility supplies such as. moving of gas meter
  • white goods provision where kitchen cabinet furniture requires alteration
  • installation of shower, mixer taps, shower screens etc.
  • construction of external walls
  • installation of a garden pond
  • charging point and storage of mobility scooters
  • construction of a BBQ/ garden structure.
  • replacing a light fitting and switch in the same place as before

Improvements that we don't allow

We do not allow some improvements because they reduce the value or safety of a property.

We do not allow:

  • installation of satellite dishes, SkyQ or aerials where you reside in a flat
  • removal of any internal walls, of any construction.
  • removal banisters, newel posts, handrails, spindles etc. on stairs or landings
  • the replacing of fire doors with ordinary doors, this includes main entrance  doors to flats and internal fire doors with standard doors
  • the division of any room to create another room or passageway
  • the fitting of patio, French or any door in place of a window
  • any work where a neighbour has 'given permission' to use their land
  • external painting of brickwork on a property
  • external painting of render unless council colour and specification is used
  • the fitting of a lean too , to the building
  • the fitting of a conservatory
  • any type of loft conversions or room in roof
  • any boarding (wall, ceiling or floor) within a loft space
  • any type of extensions, using any type of material, except for dfg`s
  • enclosing or constructing a porch
  • stairways or fitting of loft ladders to loft spaces
  • the "opening up" of any fireplace
  • fitting of loft / Velux windows
  • garage adaptions or conversions
  • fitting of wood burners
  • any alterations to the external appearance of the property
  • removal of any garden hedges
  • a dropped kerb (you can apply for a parking hardstand)

Get permission to make your improvements

Get in touch if you need permission and it's an improvement we allow.


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email