Toggle menu

Council housing repair

Residents who live in council properties can contact us to report when repairs are needed.

We also publish information about maintenance of council homes and self-help repair advice for tenants.

On this page:

Report a repair

If you can smell gas or suspect a gas leak, call the National Gas Emergency Service first on 0800 111 999. Have your postcode ready. You must also call the council using the phone numbers below. 

Urgent repairs

Contact us right away to report an urgent repair to your council home or communal area.

Report an urgent repair outside office hours by calling 023 8028 5250 or 07771 259098.

During office hours, report an urgent repair by calling 023 8028 5222. The Housing Support Hub is open on Monday to Thursday between 8.30am and 5.15pm, and on Friday between 8.30am and 4.45pm.

Non-urgent repairs

You can use our online system to report a non-urgent repair to your council home or communal area.

For further information on how we use your information please visit Housing Services Privacy notice

Response times for repairs

The time taken to respond to your request depends on the nature of the repair. We prioritise repairs as per the categories below.

Response times for repair
Repair Types and Response TimesRepair Details
Emergency: three hoursThis is to make a situation safe or perform temporary repairs. This work is necessary to prevent danger to life or extensive damage to property, or if the problem will have an adverse effect on a medical need.
Urgent: 24 hours

This is to prevent suffering undue inconvenience or further damage to property. Urgent repairs include:

  • Loss of hot water (between 31 October and 1 May).
  • Loss of heating (between 31 October and 1 May).
  • Defective light fitting to kitchen, bathroom or stairway.
  • Replacement toilet pan, where only one toilet exists.
  • Defective external door locks.
Priority: five working days

These are repairs that may affect the comfort of residents and are likely to cause damage to the property if not carried out. Priority repairs include:

  • Loss of hot water (between 1 May and 31 October).
  • Loss of heating (between 1 May and 31 October).
  • Renew light fitting.
  • Repair leaking pipe in the property.
  • Restore flush to toilet.
  • Unblock drain.
  • Rain penetration.
Routine: 20 working daysThis includes all other minor repairs to your property.
Programmed Works: 90 working days

These are major items of replacement, or work that requires weather or safety-dependent work planning. Programmed works include:

  • External repair and painting.
  • Re-roofing.
  • Chimney, wall or other masonry repairs.
Inspection: 28 working days

These are repairs requiring inspection to ascertain the nature and to control budgets. Reasons for inspections include:

  • Damp and mould.
  • Fencing and gates.
  • More complex repairs to the property.

For information on our cyclical and maintenance programmes, visit our page on maintenance of council homes.

Tenant responsibilities and recharges

Council tenants have responsibilities for their homes. This means that some repairs are your responsibility and you may be liable to pay for them.

For routinely charged minor repairs such as lost keys and broken windows, we will apply a fixed charge payment (including VAT) as set out below.

  • During office hours: £67.20.
  • Out of office hours: £106.80.

For more information on the responsibilities of tenants, refer to our Maintenance and Repair Policy.

Self-help for tenants

You may wish to carry out checks or attempt minor repairs yourself. To provide guidance for certain types of repair, we have a series of self-help videos and leaflets.

Further information

For more detailed information on our repair policy, download our Housing Landlord Services Maintenance and Repairs Policy 2019 below.

Housing Landlord Services Maintenance and Repairs Policy 2019 (PDF) [445KB] (opens new window)

You can also download our Asset Management Strategy below.

Asset Management Housing Strategy 2020-24 (PDF) [3MB] (opens new window)

For any further help or information, contact the Housing Support Hub by email to 

Maintenance of council homes

Safety inspections and routine repairs to your rented property.

Get permission to make improvements to your council home

Find out what improvements you do and do not need to get permission for, and apply for permission to make an improvement.

Self-help repair advice for tenants

Carrying out checks or making minor repairs to your rented property.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email