Toggle menu

Council Tax disabled band reduction

If you or someone living in your home is permanently disabled, we may be able to reduce your Council Tax bill.

Eligibility for reduction

You may be able to get a reduction in your Council Tax if you are disabled or you have a disabled person living with you. Your property must also have one of the following to meet their needs.

  • A second bathroom or kitchen specifically for use by the disabled person.
  • A room, which is not a bedroom or kitchen, used to meet the needs of the disabled person, for example dialysis.
  • Extra floor space to enable the disabled person to use their wheelchair around the home.

Each of these features must be of essential importance to the wellbeing of the disabled person.

Stairlifts, handrails and other fixtures on their own do not qualify for the reduction.

Apply for reduction

The person who is responsible for paying Council Tax has to make the application. 

If you believe you may be entitled to this reduction, complete the online form below.

Once we have received your application, we will contact you to arrange an appointment for an officer to visit your property. 

All council officers carry an identification card, which you should see before letting anyone into your home. Do not let anyone into your home unless you are sure who they are.

Amount of reduction

If you are eligible for the reduction, your Council Tax band will be reduced by one band.

For example, if your home is on band C, the reduction will mean that you now pay the band B rate of Council Tax.  If your home is already in the lowest band, band A, your Council Tax will still be reduced.

Find out more about Council Tax bands.

Find out more about other Council Tax discounts and exemptions.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email