Toggle menu

Support for moving to new business premises

There are many types of business premises available in the New Forest to buy, lease or license, ranging from shops to warehouses.

Moving into new business premises can mean additional space, extra resources and a more favourable commercial location. However, it can also be a huge step for any business due to the significant, ongoing financial commitment.

We work with several partner agencies to provide a range of business support options when moving to new commercial premises. The sources of advice may differ depending on whether you are starting a new business or are already established.

As well as rent and other costs associated with commercial property, you also need to be aware of restrictions or costs which may be associated with your new premises.

The information provided below is not comprehensive, nor does it replace professional advice.

On this page:

Check a property's commercial classification

Before you take on a commercial lease, ensure that you check the property's commercial classification. These are also known as Planning Use Classes.

Checking the property's commercial classification allows you to operate your specific type of business from that location. Each property will have been classified as to what types of business can be run there.

Further information and a list of Planning Use Classes can be found on The Planning Portal website.

In certain circumstances, you can apply to us for planning permission to have the classification changed. For more information, .

Calculate your Business Rates

Business Rates are the way that those who occupy non-domestic properties contribute towards the cost of local services. We collect Business Rates for all businesses within New Forest.

To calculate the cost of Business Rates on a new commercial property in England and Wales, visit the GOV.UK website.

Find out more about Business Rates.

Licences and permissions

Different licences and permissions are the responsibility of different public bodies. Some are administered locally by us, while others are administered for the county by Hampshire County Council or nationally by Government agencies.

The Government's Licence Finder tool will help you to identify the licences you will need to operate your type of business. These may include licences to play music, sell food, to trade in the street or even to sell live fish.

Find out more about licences.

Business waste collection

Business waste collection costs are not included in Business Rates. Given that different types of businesses produce different types and amounts of waste, it would not be practical or fair to include waste collection and disposal.

You can arrange the collection or disposal of waste from your new property through many registered waste carriers, depending on what is best for your business.

We offer a commercial business waste and recycling collection service. This can help your business to save money and reduce its environmental impact. The cost depends on the type of business and how much waste your business produces.

Food businesses

When you start a new food business at new premises or take over an existing business, you must register with your local authority.

Find out more about starting a food business.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email