Toggle menu

Take rubbish to the tip

If you have household waste that cannot be disposed of with your regular collection, you can take it to one of the tips in New Forest.

These tips are also known as Household Waste and Recycling Centres (HWRCs).

They will accept many items that cannot be collected by your normal household rubbish or household recycling collections.

The tips in New Forest and Hampshire are owned by Hampshire County Council and are operated on its behalf by Veolia. 

You can find your local tip using the online search tool below.

On this page:

Book a visit to a tip

You must book an appointment before you visit a tip. 

You can book an appointment using the online form below.

What you can take to the tip

The tips can accept a range of waste types, including bulky waste and electrical items. However, there are restrictions and charges for some types of waste, for example plasterboard and asbestos.

What you can take to the tip without restrictions or charges:

  • aluminium
  • baths
  • batteries
  • bedding, quilts, pillows and sleeping bags
  • car batteries
  • cardboard
  • carpets
  • real Christmas trees
  • clothing
  • electrical equipment and appliances
  • foil
  • fridges and freezers
  • furniture
  • garden waste
  • light bulbs
  • mattresses
  • mobile phones
  • printer cartridges
  • scrap metal
  • textiles
  • wallpaper
  • wood

What you cannot take to the tip

Check the list of items you can take to the tip but with restrictions or charges.

Check the list of items you cannot take to the tip.

You cannot take non-household, commercial or trade waste to the tip unless you have signed up for the Hampshire HWRC Trade Waste service. Alternatively, you may wish to sign up to our business waste collection service.

Who can use the tip

If you live in New Forest, you can use any of the tips in Hampshire. However, you must register your vehicle to access them.

If you have a commercial vehicle designed to carry goods or a large trailer, you will need a permit to use the tip.

Other ways to get rid of waste

As well as our regular household rubbish and household recycling collections, we offer other ways to dispose of different types of waste.

You can take recyclable household waste, and other materials such as textiles and books, to one of our community recycling banks.

If you have a large item that cannot be reused or taken to the tip, we offer a bulky waste collection service.

We can collect from your household. You may also be interested in a home composting scheme for food and garden waste.

If you have a medical condition, we can collect healthcare waste from your home.

Further information

Find out more about Hampshire's HWRCs.

If you have any queries, contact Hampshire County Council's waste and recycling team:

Phone: 0300 555 1389


Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email