Toggle menu

Council Tax discounts

Single occupier discount

If the property is your main residence and you are the only adult occupier, you can apply for a 25% discount on your Council Tax bill.

To apply for single person discount, use the online form below.

Full-time student discount

If the number of adult residents in a property is one after disregarding someone who is a full-time student, you can apply for a 25% discount.  This is the same as being eligible for a single person discount. 

A student includes:

  • someone who is undertaking a full-time course of higher education, such as studying towards a degree qualification
  • young persons aged 18 and 19 years old who are in further education at a school or college, for example studying A-Levels or a BTEC course.

A young person who has completed their school or college education will continue to be disregarded until the 31st of October following the completion of their course, or the date of their 20th birthday if this is sooner.

To apply for a discount use the online form below.

Other disregarded residents

If the number of adult residents in a property is one after someone is disregarded, a 25% discount is given. If all residents are disregarded, a 50% discount is given.

Adults who are in any of the circumstances below will count as being disregarded for Council Tax purposes.

You can apply for a Council Tax discount if you are in any of the following circumstances:

  • persons detained in prison or a secure health facility
  • persons with a severe mental impairment
  • care leavers aged under 25
  • persons in respect of whom child benefit is in payment
  • student nurses
  • apprentices earning less than £195 per week
  • youth training trainees
  • live-in carers who provide care for at least 35 hours per week. The carer must not be the partner of the person who is being cared for or the child's parent, if the person being cared for is under 18
  • residents of hostels for the homeless
  • persons living in a religious community
  • members and dependants of visiting armed forces
  • persons with diplomatic privileges or immunities.

If any of the above apply to adult residents in your property, you can apply for a Council Tax discount using the online form below.

Find out more about other Council Tax discounts and exemptions.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email